When I was a fledgling entrepreneur, I searched for someone who could help teach me how to balance my sensitive spiritual experiences with basic real world business strategies and I found very few people who had a balance that I felt was appropriate for my business and life. In a departure from my usual video post, today I share with you my hard won experiences. In this article, I will show you what I find to be of top priority for your success, stability and longevity in your business and in your life. You can also read my original article at YourLifeIsAwesome.com Copyright (C) Rocco Distefano 2012
So. You are solidly connected with your Spirit Guides, Angels and the Divine. You are familiar with the nuances of Energy and Frequency and understand how it affects you and the world around you. You are also very comfortable with who You are and know that without a doubt you are here to help others.
Then perhaps you are born to be an Intuitive Coach.
I will start off by saying that this is by no means an easy business. It is not for the meek of heart. You have to be extremely versatile. Not only must you manage a raise in your own consciousness, you must also be shrewd in business and have excellent people skills. You must be smart, savvy, driven and talented.
And most importantly: You must have a deep respect for yourself, other people and the world around you.
I tell all of my students that they must be Galvanized when they wake up to do this job. This is not the kind of job that you can “phone in”. Our clients are coming to us for answers because they are not getting them anywhere else so when they call us up they deserve the highest work ethic, the best service and the utmost in care and respect that we can give to them.
We are not selling crock pots here. We are teaching people how to love themselves. How to connect with Life again. We are showing our clients how to raise their Conscious Awareness to better their personal and world views so that they may begin to live better lives. So if the idea of truly connecting with your clients is uncomfortable or the idea of meeting new people is scary than perhaps this is not the right job for you.
If you have read this far and you are still on the same page with me, read on.
Here are just a few of the things that I have learned over the past 15 years that have made me successful today. The first half is dedicated to the Business side of things and the second half will focus on the importance of Healing and Loving Yourself and I will finish up with some of the Ethics that are crucial to ensure that your practice is moving the world Forward Not Backwards. 😉
1. Whatever your methods for counseling, get your Name and Face out there for the world to see. If you want to reach a large group of people, you must be comfortable with people knowing who you are, what you look like and what you are about. Get photos taken professionally if you can or just get a tech savvy friend to make your pics look professional 😉 either way, you want to place your best face forward and all over your site, your services and your products.
2. Develop an Online Presence. Even if you are the best at what you do, no one will know how awesome you are unless you tell them! Your business should have a Website with a name that is easy to type and easy to remember. If you are not HTML savvy than you can find easy to use webpage templates on a blog site like WordPress. You can later modify your blog through WordPress but I really recommend purchasing your own domain at a site like GoDaddy or Squarespace. Why give someone else the traffic that you are working so hard to get?
4. Brand yourself. Sit down and write out all of your skills starting first with your strongest. This first skill is what you will showcase when you go public and will become the foundation for your products, style, and business model.
Ask yourself how you can market this skill so that you can get paid. Can you turn your skills into a book or a workshop or blog so that you can reach more clients? Can your private sessions be tailored into a personal coaching program? Discover the things that you are best at and package them accordingly.
5. Anything worth mentioning has itself immersed in social media. Your business should have at the very least a Facebook Fan Page, Twitter Account, and a LinkedIn Profile. You should be updating each of these venues at least once a day and connecting with everyone you meet.
When you can afford it, I recommend getting yourself a publicist. It will speed up the process and move things along.
6. Protect yourself and your business. Weather you call yourself a Medium, Psychic, Channel, Healer, Life Coach, or Intuitive Counselor, make sure that you know the laws of your state or province and where within your practice falls. Some states have “Fortune Telling” laws, others blanket Intuitive Counseling under the word Life Coach. Some states require you to have a license or certificate and others do not. Know these laws. Consult a lawyer and make a special page on your website that addresses these concerns upfront.
On this same page you will want to include a brief statement to be clear about your policies and intentions with your products and services. This includes things like your refund policy, hours of operation and any other information that your clients will need to know about how you operate as a business.
7. Know your Worth. Make sure that you are charging your clients the correct amount. What you charge for your services and products is a reflection of how you value your Time, Energy and Talent. Energetic Counseling of any kind requires a great deal of energy so if you undercharge your clients you run the risk overextending yourself for a client base that may have little value for your work. Make sure you are working with people who respect your work (and you) as much as you do and can pay you accordingly.
8. Read. Absorb every ounce of information that you can about every subject, even if it has nothing to do with Intuition. The more you know about the world around you and the people that are in it, the better equipped you will be to do your job. Read books, blogs newspapers, whatever you can get your hands on. The more you learn the better you will become at understanding (and accomplishing) the seemingly impossible.
9. Question Everything. Don’t ever take anything someone tells you at face value. If someone presents you with a set of facts, take a look at them from every possible angle. Bounce them off of what you already know and see if they gel together. See if you can come up with similar ideas from a different angle or come up with something entirely new with the same information. Listen, Digest, Absorb, Reflect.
10. Pay attention to the food that you put into your body. Eat enough to satisfy and nourish you but not so much that it will weigh you down. Foods that are rich in minerals and vitamins like fruit and vegetables are great choices and will help cleanse your body of toxins and give you a boost. Things that clog your pores or compromise your immune system like red meat or highly processed foods are generally not a great idea, especially before a session. I am not saying that you have to be a Vegan to be successful, just be aware of what you are putting in your body. Reading labels and having all the facts before you eat is always a good idea.
11. Get enough sleep. When you are exhausted, you cannot be available to take care of yourself, let alone your clients. Listen to your body. If it is asking for sleep, respond with kindness.
12. Exercise every day. I cannot stress this one enough. We have a physical body for a reason. Our bodies are designed to be used and challenged everyday. If you are physically capable then you should be moving, shaking, and working up a sweat at least once a day. It will ground you and steady you. Exercise will remind you that you are human. It will make you humble and ready to work from a higher vibration.
13. Limit your intake of alcohol and other mood enhancing substances. When we introduce outside chemicals to the body, it must fight twice as hard to function and creates an energetic and hormonal imbalance that can compromise the information and intention of your work.
So while having a drink once and a while can be fun, it has no place in your practice. What makes Spiritual Work effective is the intimate connection and personal space you create for you and your client. When you come to your client under the influence, you are recieving them from a place of inauthenticity. Your clients are coming to you for guidance and it is your responsibility to be fully present to support them through their session.
If you are not lucid, it is disrespectful to your clients and ultimately undermines the purpose of this work. Furthermore, if you continually choose to practice this way, you may develop a dependancy and that never ends well. For anyone.
14. Every Intuitive Counselor should undergo a period of Traditional Psychotherapy. No matter how spiritually evolved you feel you are. No matter how hyper intelligent you may be, you are still human and are working within the limited range of human conscious memory.
So for us to perform at peak condition we must be as emotionally and psychologically integrated as possible. You need to know yourself (and love yourself) inside and out on a psychological level before you can ethically help another person on the Spiritual Landscape. Psychology is the foundation of all Spiritual Work and in order to stretch the imagination beyond the threshold of belief in a healthy manner you must be a grounded human being.
That being said, it is important to take into consideration the Psychological state of your clients as well. If you feel that a client is in any way in need of Psychological Care it is your responsibility to recommend it.
15. Confidentiality. Your clients are coming to you with questions of a personal nature and are trusting you with information they most likely will not tell anyone else. It is up to you to treat them with the respect that they deserve and keep their stories private.
It is also important to note that if you do not believe in every single word that you say to your clients on your website, in your sessions and with your products then your work and your business will suffer. People will just walk away if you do not care. If you begin the work day with Apathy than you will simply not succeed.
The guidelines above have been developed from years of exploration in business and my own personal experiences as an Intuitive. So, take your time and give yourself the space to learn the skills that you need to make your practice work.
My own practice is built on the ideology that anything that a Psychic or Intuitive reveals to their clients is coming from a place that anyone can access for themselves. It is up to us to show others that there is no mystery to what we can do, just a matter of self awareness. So anytime spent telling your clients that they Can’t is counterintuitive. It is our job to show our clients what they Can accomplish.
The face of Intuitive Coaching is about to change. As the decade moves on, our profession has the extraordinary potential to become a relevant mainstay in the field of Professional Health Care and as the Human Spirit becomes more Self Aware, so too will our services.
So lets get to work! The journey ahead is going to be an exciting one and as each of you works to fine tune your own practices I look forward to having you there beside me as we move forward into this Special Time in Human History.
Do you still have questions about your business? Book an Awesome Life Session with Rocco and have all your questions answered Today!
Copyright (C) Rocco Distefano 2012